There is more to life than getting qualifications

on

*Considering the fact that I’m currently revising for my exams, this might seem like a very strange post.*

However, the more I revise, the more I realise just how insignificant this moment truly is. As you grow up, you’re always making decisions now, for your future. Always planning ahead. It’s actually crazy.

I remember when I took my first SAT’s. It felt like the most important time of my life. I remember picking my GCSE options. I was a 13 year old child being told to make what they said would be the biggest decision of my life. A generation brought up watching That’s So Raven so I made my own show and decided to predict my own future. I picked GCSE options and took the tests. Results day came and it felt like the biggest moment of my life. I moved on to 6th Form. No one cared about what I got for my GCSE’s. It was time to make the biggest decision of my life. Who am I going to be? What university am I going to go to? What degree am I going to buy get? Results day came and it was the biggest moment of my life. 1st year done and now here we are. Revising. Revising for what should feel like the biggest moment of my life. It should. But it doesn’t.

You see, just because the world forces me to make decisions about the future, it doesn’t mean that I have to. God knows what He has in store for me. For all I know, I could come back from South Africa and be either petrified or fall in love with the idea of working abroad. But none of that really matters. What matters is now. All I can do is my best.

The amount of times in my life that I thought that I was making the biggest decision of my life. Look how wrong I was. I think that I was putting too much emphasis on the wrong future. This time, right now is temporary. Exam results don’t define me. Smart people fail exams and vice versa, trust me I know. I have passed exams that I know nothing about and failed exams that I thought I knew everything about. Grades don’t make you a failure. The only true failure is to not accept Christ. So when I said that this moment right now is insignificant, I mean that there is no degree that I can take to get me in to heaven. You see, I grew up believing that those were the most important decisions of my life. But I now know that the biggest decision and moment of my life was actually a few weeks before I got my GCSE results. It was the day that I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Saviour.

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain – Philippians 12:1

Advertisements

9 Comments Add yours

1. lillianl17 says:

Love love LOVE this post!

2. lillianl17 says:

Reblogged this on Growing Up, God, and Being Busy and commented:
    Something I wish I read in high school. Don’t let anyone tell you that you have to gain control of your future. God has got you covered!

1. Ahh wow thank you. I am really beginning to realise that. Thanks for reblogging.

3. ropheka says:

So many times in life when I made plans they failed. Since depending upon Jehovah they have always succeeded. They are very difficult but well worth it.

4. videttexo says:

This is everything.

5. videttexo says:

Reblogged this on bloodandrhetoric and commented:
    She is a personal friend.

6. Jerry Coates says:

My dad thought that I could not make a living with my hands so he had me go to college. I studied physics and math as they were the natural things of life. In my last semester, I had to take only two classes. That gave me the chance to start full-time work.

Then I had a chance to go to the Carnegie Institute of Technology to study civil engineering. I was born along the Ohio River near Pittsburgh. There were lots of bridges across the Ohio. I loved bridges, studied them, made toothick copies of them, and drawings of them. With my civil engineering degree, I could actually build them. I had a deep fascination of bridges.

I had to choose between bridges and the full-time ministry. I chose the later. I have no regrets in life as my wife and I helped a lot of people to turn their lives around to servi Jehovah. Serving Jehovah is the only way to go. The comments above are true and lasting.

1. Wow!! Thank you very much for sharing your story, it’s really nice to hear from someone who has actually come out the other end.